It all started when…
The Hawaii Filipino Lawyers Association ("HFLA") began over 40 years ago when a handful of Filipino lawyers practicing in Honolulu, HI began meeting to share food & drink and to discuss ways to support each other during a period of time when lawyers of Filipino heritage were not always welcome members of the Hawaii State Bar.
Today, HFLA is a formal non-profit organization organized and led by a new generation of attorneys who are proud of their Filipino heritage and dedicated to helping each other to make a difference in Hawaii. Our membership includes judges at all levels of the Hawaii State Judiciary, public servants working for numerous government agencies at both State and County levels, partners and associates in Hawaii's large law firms, and solo practitioners in every discipline of law. Our guiding purposes are the following:
- To promote participation in the legal community by Filipino lawyers
- To represent and to advocate the interests of Filipino lawyers and their communities
- To foster the exchange of ideas and information among and between HFLA members and other members of the legal profession, the judiciary and the legal community
- To facilitate client referrals
- To broaden professional opportunities for Filipino lawyers and law students.